Gas Leak at Massanutten Resort
It was a Saturday morning around 0830 and most of the vacationers were up and starting to pack, for their vacation was just about over. Two guest were alerted by the strong odor of gas coming from an area by the housing complex. A call to the front desk triggered no immediate response and a second call was placed. This time there was an urgency in the callers voice and pending threat to skip the small talk and dial 911 direct. Moments later the sounds of sirens could be heard headed up the mountain.
Firefighters douse the area with water around the leaking gas valve to prevent a potential explosion should the gas come in contact with an open flame.
A firefighter stands by awaiting to receive instructions from the on scene leader. Meanwhile the another firefighter checks the pressure gauges on the water truck to ensure the proper amount of water is being available to firefighters battling the gas leak.